In this article, we will explore how we can combine crystals and meditation, and the benefits of doing so.
I also perform these meditations in person as well as online, so please do get in touch if you’re interested in learning more.
Benefits of combining crystals and meditation
Firstly, meditating with crystals is a form of mindfulness meditation. This is the practice of remaining in the present and not worrying about the past, or the future.
Unfortunately, constant worrying causes us unnecessary stress and anxiety, plus it’s a waste of our precious energy.
Thankfully, being mindful of our present moment by using our senses, prevents us from staying on the ‘drama roundabout‘. What’s this I hear you ask?
What is a drama roundabout?
The drama roundabout is that one thought that sets you up for your starring role in that outrageous action movie, THAT ISN’T REAL!
It occurs when you hop onto that original thought and the longer you stay, the more momentum it picks up. The momentum is the equivalent of your emotions and you begin to feel overwhelmed, and anxious. You can step off the drama roundabout anytime you like, but firstly, you need to know when you’ve hopped on.
Without a shadow of a doubt, practicing mindfulness meditation helps you to observe your thoughts hence, recognising when you’ve hopped onto that roundabout. You now have the choice of hopping right back off again and avoiding your drama of emotions.
How do I know this?
Anxiety is a bitch!
I’ve suffered terribly with my anxiety, to the point that my drama roundabout was so far fetched and emotional that I’ve ended up scared and upset. Furthermore, I didn’t recognise what I was doing, therefore I didn’t know half the time why I felt impending doom. It got so bad that I almost quit my career and my relationships to be on my own and feel safer.
Looking back, I’m so glad that I had the strength to recognise that I needed help.
If you have a problem that’s causing you anxiety, then please don’t avoid it. Talk to someone and take steps to practically resolve it. If however, you’re stepping on the drama roundabout, it’s time you jumped off and used your senses to become aware of the present situation.
Live in the present and not in the past, or in the future. I have numerous articles about my anxiety and what I found helped me.
Crystals and mindfulness meditation
When meditating with crystals, you become mindful when using your senses of sight, touch and smell.
Practising mindfulness meditation for at least 5 minutes a day, can bring numerous health benefits.
- Better management of stress, anxiety and depression
- Build self-esteem
- Increases your attention span
- Improve your memory
- Help you to get better sleep
- Control pain
By adding a crystal gemstone to mindfulness meditation, you are gaining further benefits such as: –
- Adding energy medicine while holding a crystal gemstone
- Performs healing while you’re meditating
- Helps you to develop a strong intuitive relationship with your crystal gemstone
- Will help you to maintain focus
- Good to assist with solving problems
Meditation and Breathing
Prior to any meditation, it’s important that you ground yourself, which can be achieved with a mindfulness breathing exercise.
When breathing in, imagine your breathing in a white healing light or positive energy, breathe this into your heart and imagine it being pumped all around your body.
When you exhale, imagine you’re exhaling all of your negative energy. Examples include stress, anxiety, depression, aches, and pains. Breathe it out in the form of black smoke, and blow it towards the ground.
Breath in the white and out the black.
- Sit or lie down in a comfortable position
- Gently close your eyes
- Slowly breathe in through your nose and notice how your stomach and chest rises. Hold for a couple of seconds, and then exhale slowly through your mouth. Notice how your shoulders and body relax
- Do the above at least three times and don’t forget to breathe in the white and exhale the black. If you want to do more than three repetitions, please do so until you’re relaxed
- If you notice your attention becoming caught up in a thought, just bring your focus gently back to your breathing. It’s normal that your mind may wonder, but never be judgmental, or harsh on yourself for thinking, after all it’s only natural to think right?
- When you’re ready, gently open your eyes and bring your attention back to your senses. Feel your body pressing against the surface, start listening to sounds around you, and take the time to relax more deeply, and appreciate taking time out for yourself
Adding crystals to your meditation
It’s important that you create a journal to record your meditation exercises.
Over time, you will build up a wealth of information about which crystal will work for you. You can do this by making a note of the following each time you meditate with your chosen crystal: –
- Which crystal did you choose and why?
- What thoughts, emotions and feelings did you observe while meditating?
- Were these emotions and feelings different before your meditation?
- How do you feel now?
Developing your focus and concentration with crystals and meditation
By performing a mindfulness meditation with a crystal, you will also be developing your concentration and focus. The object is to solely focus on your chosen crystal for five minutes.
Begin with spending a minute or so, examining your chosen crystal. Look at the different shades, textures and how the light reflects off it. Ensure that you take enough off it into your memory as you will be visualising it in your minds eye.
- Holding your crystal in your left hand, gently close your eyes
- Take three deep grounding breaths, (see above) before steadying your breathing
- Now, imagine you’re drawing in the crystals energy when taking another long slow breath in through your nose. Breathe in the crystals energy
- Bring up the image of your chosen crystal into your minds eyes and focus on it
- Maintain focus for five minutes
- When time is up, take in another deep breath and exhale out slowly
- Now begin writing your findings in your journal.
To solely focus on a crystal for a period of at least five minutes without being distracted by a thought, is a lot harder than you think. Over time though, it will become easier. Should you be carried away by a thought, please don’t chastise yourself. Gently smile and bring your focus back to your crystal.